Nadal pulls out of Queen's to rest for Wimbledon

Posted June 26, 2017

It was all looking hunky dory for Rafael Nadal after completing the "La Decima" at the French Open, but now doubts over his fitness have been raised again, with the Spaniard announcing his decision to pull out of the Aegon Championships in Queen's, the preparatory tournament for Wimbledon.

He said: "There has been a little while since I played a very good Wimbledon".

'Sorry to all the great fans in Britain and to the tournament organisers.

A 10th singles title at the clay-court Grand Slam represents a professional era record - no player has won more singles titles at the same major event as the 31-year-old.

"Simply incredible, Rafa #10 #RG17 #VamosRafa #justdoit", tweeted Federer, who missed the French Open, including the whole clay-court season, to shift his focus entirely on the grass-court season ahead with Wimbledon being his top priority.

Spain's Rafael entered the history books on Sunday by winning his tenth Roland Garros title, defeating Switzerland's Stan Wawrinka 6-2, 6-3, 6-1.

Next up on the Slam list in three weeks' time is Wimbledon where Nadal was champion in 2008 and 2010 and runner-up in 2006, 2007 and 2011.

"I am really happy to win here". And I finished the year being World No. 1, winning here (in Paris), winning the US Open.

Playing in his 22nd Grand Slam final, Nadal triumphed in Paris without dropping a set for a third time.

The Spaniard is now 2,605 points away from Andy Murray, the world number one.

"I'm not the first and not the last to lose to him on clay", Wawrinka said, who produced 19 winners and had 29 unforced errors.

Nadal, the last Grand Slam victor in the French Open in 2014, had to fight with a number of injuries.

True. Nadal leads the tour with four titles and 43 match wins this season and will rise to No. 2 in the ATP rankings Monday.

"This is the most important event in my career. I like playing on grass and have been in five finals, remember that".

I have decided my body needs to rest if I am going to be ready to play Wimbledon. "I don't think it would be the right thing to do to see it as a revenge", said Nadal who withdrew before last year's third round at the French Open with a wrist injury.