Police Fatally Shoot Pregnant Mother Who Called Them To Report Robbery

Posted June 20, 2017

According to the Seattle Times, 30-year-old Charleena Lyles called police on June 18 to report a burglary. At some point, Lyles displayed a knife and the two officers shot and killed her. Lyles' children were inside the apartment at the time of the shooting, but none of them were injured.

Neighbor Lhora Murray, 42, said she heard shots and called the police, unaware that it was Seattle officers who fired their weapons.

"The officers need to pay for what they did", said Lyles' sister, Monika Williams.

The officers said Lyles had been holding a knife and threatened them during the visit.

On Sunday, Seattle police shot and killed Charleena Lyles, a 30-year-old pregnant mother of four.

A police spokesman did not immediately respond to a e-mail asking whether the officers on June 5 were the same officers who shot Lyles on Sunday.

The statement provided by the Seattle police department said both officers were "equipped with less lethal force options", and that all its officers are trained in crisis intervention. The statement also revealed that there were several children in the apartment at the time, who were unharmed and are now being cared for by family members.

Lyles' family says the shooting was unnecessary and that Lyles suffered from mental health issues.

Family members told the Seattle Times that Lyles was several months pregnant, and suffering from mental health issues, at the time of the incident. He said that she was anxious that her children would be taken, and that the Brettler Family Place management was trying to get her family out of the apartment complex.

Lyles was depressed and "was going through some things in her life", but she was attending his church regularly while making an effort to improve her life, Isabell said.

Seattle officials agreed in 2012 to an independent monitor and federal court oversight of the department after a federal investigation found Seattle officers routinely used excessive force. They calmly discuss an X-Box video game console being taken and roughly 15 seconds later, officers could be heard saying "Get back!"

The situation was tense; Lyles' children were also present.

Officers were initially called to investigate a reported burglary at Brettler Family Place, which is a residential complex for people transitioning out of homelessness.

"The obstruction was she wouldn't let go of her baby until I got here and she had some scissors in her hand".

Detectives say that Lyles was brandishing a knife during the incident, which is why she was shot.

According to the dash cam audio, they seemed to be having a normal conversation with her, as she tells them about what's been stolen - she confirms a missing Xbox.

"She was not a person you would fear or feel intimidated by", Lyles' brother Domico Jones said.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray called the shooting a "tragedy for all involved" and vowed transparency throughout the probe.