Conrad Roy III's family breaks their silence after Michelle Carter is convicted

Posted June 20, 2017

Bristol prosecutors alleged Carter should still be held accountable for the death of Conrad Roy III even though she was not present when the 18-year-old with prior suicide attempts filled his truck with carbon monoxide on July 12, 2014. “Get back in, ” Carter told Roy, according to a friend who testified Carter described the conversation in a text message to her about a month after Roy died.

"This court has found that Carter's actions and failure to act where it was her self-created duty to Roy, since she put him in that toxic environment, constituted reckless conduct", Moniz said.

Flynn told the court that after Carter told Roy to return to his vehicle, she then listened to him "as he cried out in pain and died" and did not contact his police or family for help.

Carter, now 20, was 17 at the time of Roy's death. The state has no formal law against encouraging suicide, and in order to convict her of the crime, the prosecution was tasked with proving the texts sent by Carter effectively killed him.

Moniz said that Carter's "conduct caused the death of Mr. Roy". "The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it!" she texted.

Carter's text messages were used as evidence, which clearly showed her goading Roy to take his own life. Her sentencing is set for August 3 and she could face up to 20 years in prison. "You can't keep living this way", Michelle allegedly said in another message. She also sat on the phone with him while he inhaled the gases that suffocated him.

Woman is found guilty of involuntary manslaughter...

Carter is now out on bail.

According to CNN, Carter's guilty conviction could set a legal precedent in MA on whether or not it is a crime to tell someone to commit suicide.

Following Roy III's death, Carter set up a fundraiser for mental health awareness in her late boyfriend's name and also wrote about suicide prevention on her Facebook timeline, according to the Sun Chronicle. "You just keep pushing it off to another night and say you'll do it but you never do". Yet she did not call the police or Roys family, he noted.

What do you think of the verdict? Attorneys for the defense said both teens had a history of depression, and Roy had previously attempted to take his life by overdosing on acetaminophen.

Carter's defending counsel is expected to appeal the verdict of the judge. They remained in frequent contact through emails and text messages but rarely met in person.

Carter and Roy spoke for 47 minutes as he parked in the parking lot of a Kmart in Fairhaven.

"You already made this decision, and if you don't do it tonight you're gonna be thinking about it all the time and stuff all the rest of your life and be miserable".