O'Reilly out at Fox News Channel, still denies allegations

Posted April 20, 2017

But the attention surrounding the accusations against O'Reilly - prompting protests outside Fox News headquarters in Midtown Manhattan - would have made it hard for any advertiser to return to the program.

Samantha Bee's Full Frontal was on hiatus for the week, but the show still managed one last farewell to the host using its Twitter account, before editing O'Reilly's statement a bit, including adding quotation marks around the word "news" when he references his "news program".

Mr O'Reilly has been off the air since last Wednesday, part of what was billed as a planned vacation around the Easter holiday. Bill O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel following reports that five women had been paid m. FILE - In this April 6, 2016 file photo, Bill O'Reilly attends The Hollywood Reporter's "35 Most Powerful People in Media" celebration in NY. O'Reilly has denied wrongdoing. Rupert Murdoch, 21st Century Fox's executive chairman, stood by O'Reilly in the face of the harassment claims and protests.

O'Reilly is on a almost two-week vacation at the same time Fox News Channel's parent company looks into a woman's accusation that her career was slowed when she spurned his advances.

O'Reilly's viewership spiked in the days following an April 2 New York Times report on the harassment allegations. Its leading female star, Megyn Kelly, decamped for NBC in January.

Earlier, with the disclosure of multiple settlements involving sexual harassment allegations against him, O'Reilly was forced out of his position as a prime-time host on Fox News.

That certainly could happen, though it probably won't be easy.

Snoop Dogg - and much of the U.S. hip-hop community - have had gripes with O'Reilly over the years.

O'Reilly has been the host of The O'Reilly Factor since 1996.

"O'Reilly's fate at the network is expected to be discussed on Thursday at a board meeting for Fox News's parent company, 21st Century Fox".

"This is what happens when women speak our truth - we can slay dragons", said attorney Lisa Bloom, who represents three of the women who accused O'Reilly, insisting Fox should have fired him years ago. At the time, O'Reilly said he planned to return to the program on April 24.

O'Reilly was a ratings magnet at Fox - but it's hard to know how much of his audience would follow him to another network.

The New York Times reports that an African-American woman - who remains anonymous - came forward this week with allegations of her own, saying O'Reilly would at various times grunt like a "wild boar" at her desk, leer at her and refer to her as "hot chocolate".

O'Reilly said in an April 1 statement that he had been unfairly targeted because of his public prominence. It could also have alienated employees.

It was a humiliating blow to one of the biggest USA media names, a veteran broadcaster at Fox News for two decades who counted President Donald Trump among his personal supporters and whose ratings soared in defiance of his alleged abusive behavior towards women.

It's also home to ambitions that the O'Reilly crisis may have hindered. Its previous effort died in 2011, a casualty of the phone-hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch's British newspapers.

"Credit to James and Lachlan for doing the right thing here", said DiClemente, who noted that dealing with the O'Reilly controversy "in the right way" could be helpful for the Sky review.

Twenty-First Century Fox had tapped the law firm Paul, Weiss Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, which also looked into the allegations against Ailes, to investigate O'Reilly's conduct.

Fox occupies a unique and powerful, if controversial, position in America - watched by a deep and committed conservative fan base that to a large extent includes many of those who voted Trump into office.