Facebook murder suspect dead from self-inflicted gunshot after police chase

Posted April 19, 2017

After eluding police almost 48 hours, the Cleveland man accused of posting video of a murder he committed to Facebook, pulled into Pennsylvania McDonald's drive-thru Tuesday and ordered McNuggets and fries.

The search for murder suspect Steve Stephens put authorities in surrounding states on the lookout.

Stephens had ordered a 20-piece McNuggets and a side of fries.

Stephens "was spotted this morning by PSP members in Erie County".

A drive-thru worker called in the tip, and police tried to stop Stephens about five miles from the fast food joint.

As the vehicle was spinning out of control, Stephens shot and killed himself.

Facebook drew criticism for not removing the gruesome video until two hours after Stephens posted it.

Erie County is in the northwestern corner of the state, roughly 100 miles (160 km) northeast of Cleveland.

The chilling video was on Facebook for three hours before it was taken down.

Police said the woman he referred to was in a safe place.

Authorities say Stephens shot and killed himself after a brief police pursuit.

The man who allegedly streamed a killing live on Facebook is dead after a two-day manhunt, police said.

"What happened today is senseless", Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said. Stephens later posted the video of him shooting and killing Godwin on Facebook.

Tonya Godwin-Baines, one of Mr Godwin's children, said on Monday - while Stephens was still on the run: "To the young man who murdered my daddy, I ask that you please surrender".

Godwin's family has forgiven Stephens and said they hold no animosity toward him. Then, he posted video of the attack on his Facebook Page. "We would prefer that it had not ended this way, because there are a lot of questions" about why Stephens did what he did, according to Williams.

Authorities had been offering up to $50,000 for information leading to the arrest of the 37-year-old Stephens, who was wanted over the apparently random killing of 74-year-old Robert Godwin Sr.