Man dies after being electrocuted in bath while charging iPhone

Posted March 20, 2017

Technically Incorrect offers a slightly twisted take on the tech that's taken over our lives.

An English coroner will warn Apple that iPhone chargers can be potentially deadly after a man was electrocuted while charging his phone in the bath.

Richard Bull was electrocuted after his charging phone came into contact with his bath water.

Officials believe that Bull plugged an extension cord into an outlet in the hallway and then connected his iPhone charger in the bathroom.

The 32-year-old man identified as Richard was found covered in severe burns to his chest, arms, and hand, so much so that his wife who made the discovered thought he had been attacked. However, the coroner, a public official who investigates suspicious, sudden or violent deaths, said he was extremely concerned that people didn't realize that phones were as risky near water as, say, hairdryers.

Ms Bull called 999 but paramedics said he was already dead by the time they arrived, The Sun reported.

Apple has not yet commented.

Some £1,095 has been raised in Mr Bull's memory by friends and family for The Salvation Army. But in the United Kingdom it is enough.

His brother Andrew also exclaimed over the incident, I still find it hard to believe that the charger plug and phone would be enough electricity to kill someone.