Man arrested in alleged Target bomb plot

Posted February 17, 2017

Federal agents arrested an Ocala man accused of planning to put bombs in Target stores because he allegedly believed it would earn him money. If convicted, he could face 10 years in federal prison. He asked the source to place them on store shelves from NY to Florida and provided the source with a bag of gloves, mask and a license plate cover.

The complaint says Barnett thought the explosions would cause Target stock prices to drop, allowing him to buy cheap shares in the company before it rebounded.

Barnett offered an unnamed individual - referred to as a "confidential source" (CS) in the documents - $10,000 to plant bombs in stores in several states, according to the affidavit supporting the criminal complaint cited in the press release. He also provided a bag of gloves, a mask and a license plate cover to disguise the source's identity from law enforcement, the affidavit said. An expert determined they could cause property damage, serious injury and even death if they were to go off.

Barnett is already on probation and wearing a court-ordered Global Positioning System monitor for a number of felony offenses, is now faces a decade in prison on charges of possession of a firearm affecting commerce by a previously convicted felon.

Federal agents raided Barnett's Ocala home and found components that could be used to create the explosive devices given to the confidential source.

As NBC News reported, authorties said Barnett is a registered sex offender on probation for multiple felony kidnapping, sexual battery and grand theft counts.

He is now in custody at the Marion County Jail on state charges for violating his terms of probation.